Friday, March 20, 2009

Designing a Card Game

Throughout the past several years of playing competitive games and taking classes on game theory and design,  (one of which having me build games from scratch,) it occurred to me that making a ruleset for an enjoyable competitive card game was a challenge I wanted to conquer. Maybe the following notes will help you get your gears turning too. With that, what are key elements of a competitive card game? 

-Deck, obviously; A high deck minimum (Say 80 cards vs 40) likely mean less abilities for each individual card.

-Characters; which do the combat for you. 

-Abilities; which exist on characters as well as on their own individual cards.

-Resources; which are consumed to use abilities.

-Fair, intriguing, and fun combat; where you can blow your opponent out of the water or conversely get your face smashed in.

-Balanced turn and drawing systems; self explanitory.

Another important thing to keep in mind is that a card game is that at its core, it's all about card knowledge and decision making. I know what cards I have, I might know some cards he has; but what's in his hand? What's left in his deck? What decision do I make based on what I know? 

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment